Telecommunications in Angola

Angola, officially the Republic of Angola, is a country in Southern Africa. It is bordered by Namibia to the south, the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the north, Zambia to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean to west. The exclave province of Cabinda has borders with the Republic of the Congo and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The capital and largest city of Angola is Luanda.

Despite Angola’s above-average per capita income in the region, only around two-thirds of households (63%) had mobile phones with a wide variation between urban (83%) and rural areas (31%). According to latest ITU data (June 2018) mobile coverage reaches 85% of the population, and 4G LTE accessible by 8% of Angolans due to its limited deployment outside of major urban centres.

Middle Africa
Government Policy
Angola Ministry of Telecommunications and Information Technologies
ITU Region
Spectrum Regulator
Angolan Institute of Communications INACOM
Angola world map

ITU Analysis

This oil-rich country is aiming to shift from ICTs led by economic growth to ICTs being a leading engine of the economy.

ICT growth has largely been driven by economic growth from the country’s large oil reserves. There is now a push to widen and deepen access, infrastructure, human resources, content and e-services, so that ICT plays a major role in the country’s economic development strategies.

Mobile Network Operators

Movicel was originally created in 2003 as a subsidiary of the state owned Angola Telecom. In 2010, 80% of the company's capital was sold to various private companies, the remaining 20% remain in the hands of the state owned companies Angola Telecom and ENCTA.
3G: Active
4G: Active
Unitel S.A. is the largest mobile network operator in Angola, and provides mobile and data telecommunication services in Angola. It offers mobile calling, high speed data, and other services over its 3G and 4G networks.
3G: Active
4G: Active

Wireless Network Operators

Companies in this section may operate regional mobile networks, IoT / LPWA networks, or data-only wireless networks.

Net One is a wireless telecommunications provider operating in Angola. The company was founded in 2009 and historically provided WiMAX services until its transition to LTE in 2014.
4G: Active